- People who are incapable of coming to the point are literally pointless
- Do not talk like this, otherwise you will be unclear about what to do, and this will prevent you from being able to Tick Achieve
- This can have very bad consequences, the worst of of which is that you can't think straight if you can't talk straight.
- The new world of waffle is beguiling and deceptive - if you can play no part in it
- The curse of internal waffle refer to those who are incapable of being honest with themselves - this is the archenemy of getting things done effectively
- There's waffle and there's strategic waffle - strategic waffle is additionally dangerous because it sounds as though it means something when in fact it often doesn't.
- A strategy is simply when you have decided what to do - keep your expression straightforward.
- Spotting waffle is an important trait to develop - it prevents you from being fooled on the one hand, and shows you what phraseology to avoid on other
- Understanding how language works is a huge bearing on your ability to speak and think clearly - learn as much as you can.
- Pleonasms and circumlocution are to be avoided whenever possible
- If you must use jargon at work, do not use it at home
- Use friend, mom or grandmother test to find out whether you are talking (and therefore probably thinking) nonsense.
Monday, May 23, 2011
How to talk straight
From Kevin Duncan "Tick Achieve"